Lycan Shepherd Vs German Shepherd
Which dog is better? The Lycan shepherd or the German Shepherd? There are numerous dog breeds available, but these two are among the most popular.
Choosing between them can be difficult because they have both unique qualities that make them special. However, there are pros and cons to each breed that you should know.
This article will help answer the Lycan shepherd vs. German Shepherd by comparing their strengths and weaknesses side-by-side.
Which one you choose will be determined by your requirements. This blog post explores Lycan shepherds vs. German shepherds to help you decide!
Lycan Shepherd vs. German Shepherd
- The comparison between a Lycan shepherd vs. German Shepherd starts with appearance. They both look very similar, but some differences set them apart from each other.
- They both look very similar, but some differences set them apart from each other.
- The Lycan shepherd has a massive head with long ears, while the German Shepherd looks like any normal dog breed except it does not have a fluffy tail.
- Both Lycan shepherds and German shepherds have been used as working animals since their creation in 1899 by Captain Max von Stephanitz.
- However, the Lycans seem to be more sensitive than other dogs, so if you want an animal to work security, then the German shepherds might be better for this purpose.
- Lycan Shepherds are a hybrid dog that is bred from the GSD, Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky, or Northern Inuit dogs with an American Indian Dog (also known as the Canadian Eskimo) to create a working-class dog of immense intelligence and strength while maintaining its size at about 85lbs on average for both male and female dogs.
- Their characteristics include extreme loyalty against strangers, extremely high drive in work mode but very affectionate and cuddly when playtime comes, and a high level of intelligence.
- Depending on the season, Lycan Shepherds typically have two coats that vary from thick undercoats to long-haired outer coats.
- In the United States, German Shepherds are one of the most preferred breeds today for many different reasons, including their versatility as both working dogs and family pets, trainability, playfulness with children, loyalty against strangers while remaining very affectionate.
- When playing or cuddling up at home, making them great for families with kids, but also make excellent protection dogs due to their extreme protectiveness over those they love combined with an intense drive towards protecting without being too aggressive, which can lead to destruction whenever there is someone new around.
- This combination makes it possible for German Shepherds to get along with children, other dogs, and even cats without any difficulties.
- German Shepherds are typically very intelligent but also independent, so it’s important to train them at an early age, or they will take over the household.
- This is why many people choose German Shepherd puppies for sale rather than older ones because they can be trained before their personality becomes set in stone, which means you have a better chance of molding your dog into exactly what you want based on how well you train them when they’re still young enough that training isn’t too difficult.
- Lycan shepherds range from 90-120lbs while males weigh more than females, around 100-110lbs, making Lycan Shepherd vs. German Shepherd quite obvious since Germans are closer to 80-90lbs on average, with females weighing slightly less than males.
- The average Lycan shepherd tends to be a little taller than their German counterparts but still maintains an average weight of around 70 lbs.
- The Lycans can live in cold climates better because they have a longer hair coat that provides more insulation against extreme temperatures. At the same time, the short-haired Deutsche cannot handle such conditions due to its lack of sufficient fur coats.
- The Lycan’s double dewclaws make them ideal for physical labor like pulling sleds or carts, commonly used when dogs were still working animals rather than pets (which is not often discussed). Lycan shepherds are more active because they need to have something to do at all times, while German Shepherds can be just as happy lounging around on a couch with their owner.
- German shepherds have a longer life expectancy of 12-13 years, while Lycans only live about 11.
- The daily diet of Lycans is a little more expensive than German shepherds, but Lycan owners have the option of making their dog food as opposed to purchasing commercial kibble. Lycans are known for eating just about anything that humans can as long as they also get plenty of exercise and sunlight each day.
- German Shepherds excel at obedience and agility competitions. Lycan shepherds are used for search and rescue because of their strong noses.
- The German Shepherd has a shoulder height of 58 – 69 cm (23 – 27 in), while the lycan shepherd is slightly smaller, with an average height between 52 to 60cm (20–24in).
- Although they were bred from different breeds over 100 years ago, today’s German Shepherd and Lycan shepherd look a lot alike.
- Military dogs, police K-nine units, search and rescue dogs, guide dogs for the blind or visually challenged, and drug detection canines mostly use German Shepherds. Lycans are also excellent at SAR work, but they cannot be trained to detect certain types of narcotics due to their strong sense of smell; Lycans excel in agility competitions instead because of their incredible physical prowess and gracefulness.
There are many variations between the two breeds. Still, if you’re looking for an all-purpose dog with a high level of intelligence and obedience training needs, then you should consider getting a German Shepherd.
If you want to have more control over your pet or one with lower energy levels, go with Lycan Shepherds.
- Lycan Shepherd Vs Shiloh Shepherd - August 12, 2022
- Lycan Shepherds Characteristics - August 12, 2022
- Lycan Shepherd Breeder - November 10, 2021